Yield: Makes 8 servings
Active time: 25 min
Total time: 45 min (includes cooling)
- 1 1/4 pound kohlrabi, bulbs peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds kale (2 bunches), stems and center ribs disgarded
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Very thinly slice kohlrabi.
- Whisk together lime zest and juice, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Toss kohlrabi with dressing.
- Finely chop kale.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Sauté garlic until pale golden, about 30 seconds.
- Add kale by the handful, turning and stirring with tongs and adding more kale as volume in skillet reduces.
- When all of kale is wilted, sauté with 1/2 teaspoon salt until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Toss kale with kohlrabi and pistachios (if desired).